Merchants’ Bank Building – Grinnell, Iowa
On the main downtown street in Grinnell, Iowa, is located the “Jewel Box Bank,” which was one of the last structures designed by noted architect Louis Sullivan.
The 1914 building combines prairie-style and beaux-arts features. It is especially noted for an ornate keyhole façade over the main entrance. It is now owned by the Brenton National Bank of Poweshiek County and the old original part of the bank is presently being used by the Grinnell Chamber of Commerce.
The interior of the building can be toured by appointment. The exterior of the building is best lit by the afternoon sun.
Admission – None
Directions – 833 4th Ave