Historic Jordan House – West Des Moines, Iowa
In this Victorian home, of Italian Gothic design, the first settler of what is now West Des Moines—Senator James C. Jordan—lived. Prior to the Civil War, the basement rooms were home to escaping slaves who were on their way to Canada and freedom. Jordan arrived in Iowa in 1848 and began work on the permanent structure two years later. In 1870 the house was expanded as his family grew in number. The Jordans lived in the home for almost a century. The West Des Moines Historical Society bought the house in 1978 and began its renovation. It houses 16 period rooms, a railroad museum, and an area dedicated to the Underground Railroad in Iowa. The rooms are fitting backdrops for the display of the many antique treasures that tell part of the history of the city. Jordan was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Des Moines so it is appropriate to have a display on railroads to help tell the story of the part that mode of transportation played in the development of central Iowa.
The home also serves as the office of the West Des Moines Historical Society so one section contains historical memorabilia and information on that area. It is open fro group tours, luncheons or dinners by appointment.
Admission – $3.00 for adults 19 and over, $1.00 for those 18 and under.
Location: 2001 Fuller Rd, West Des Moines, IA 50265
Directions – go just east of the intersection of Fuller road and Grand Avenue.
Hours – 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Saturday, 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Sunday (May – October or by appointment)
Phone – (515) 255-1286