The Covered Bridges of Madison County – Winterset, Iowa
There are 6 remaining covered bridges in Madison County. All on the National Historic Register.
An interesting piece of trivia is that usually, the bridges were named for the resident who lived closest.
Roseman Covered Bridge
Built in 1883 by Benton Jones, it is 107 feet in length and sits in its original location. Roseman was renovated in 1992at a cost of $152,515.
Holliwell Covered Bridge
Built in 1880 by Benton Jones, it is the longest covered bridge, measuring 122 feet. It remains in its original site over the Middle River southeast of Winterset. Holliwell was renovated in 1995 at a cost of $225,000.
Cedar Covered Bridge, 1883 and 2004
Built in 1883 by Benton Jones, Cedar bridge was 76 feet long and was the last bridge open to vehicles. It was built over Cedar Creek north of Winterset on what is now U.S. Highway 169. It was moved to its present location over the same creek in 1921. It was renovated in 1998 at a cost of $128,073.
Built in 1870 by Eli Cox, it is 79 feet in length and features a pitched roof. It was originally located over the North River near Bevington. It was moved to its present site in Winterset’s City Park in 1970.Cutler-Donahoe was renovated in 1997 for $35,538.
Hogback Covered Bridge
Built in 1884 by Benton Jones, it measures 97 feet, and is in its original location in a valley north of Winterset. Hogback gets its name from the limestone ridge which forms the west end of the valley. It was renovated in 1992 at a cost of $118,810.
Imes Covered Bridge
The oldest of the remaining covered bridges, Imes was built in 1870 and is 81 feet in length. It was originally located over the Middle River west of Patterson. In 1887 it was moved to a spot over Clinton Creek southwest of Hanley. Imes Bridge was moved again to its present site over a natural ravine just east of St. Charles in 1977. It was renovated in 1997 for a cost of $31,807.
To learn the sites of the different bridges, you can stop off at the Chamber office or call them at (515) 462-1185 — FAX (515) 462-1393.