Eagle Point Park – Clinton, Iowa
Description – Overlooking the Mississippi River and General Zebulon Pike Lock and Dam (No. 13) are the 164 acres known as Eagle Point Park. Visitors are provided with spectacular views of the river and parts of Illinois, and Iowa. Shelter buildings constructed from native stone are available by reservation. The park offers many more amenities, such as: picnic tables, barbecue grills, tennis courts, wading pool, viewing towers, playground equipment, horseshoe courts, and a band shell.
Situated in the northern section of Clinton is one of the best assets of our fair city, beautiful Eagle Point Park well-maintained, unusual and very delightful.
There is a stone look-out tower that the locals refer to as the “Castle”. Kids have played in and around it for years as they crawl in and out of the lower holes or jump out of the windows which are 4 feet off the ground. The Castle has a spiral stone staircase winding around twice before it reaches the top of the building. It was built by the WPA along with two bridges, a recirculating waterfall and a stone staircase which goes down the bluff although part of the stairwell is now gone since the bluff has fallen away somewhat. There is also a wooden lodge that was built by the WPA.
In 1888, mule-drawn cars ran on a narrow-gauge rail from Main Street to what was at that time named Joyce’s Park, which is now called Eagle Point Park. When the Clinton Street Railway (owners of the park) changed to electric-driven cars in 1891, it was necessary to enlarge its tracks. Because there was no entrance to the park except by rail, the company ran an eight-mile line to the park in 1902. From that time on, there were open cars to the park during the summer months, and service all year to within a short distance of the park.
Rail fare was five cents per person, but entrance to the park was free. Four pavilions, concession stands and a variety of amusement equipment were located in the park. Free movies were shown every night and many dances were held in the early part of the century.
The history of the park make this a place that you will want to visit, drive through or picnic in while visiting Clinton.
Admission – None
Directions – in the northeast part of town, taking Rhomberg Avenue out to Shiras Avenue
Address: 3900 North 3rd Street Clinton, Iowa
Hours – dawn to dusk, May 1 – October 23
Credit Cards – None
Phone – (319) 589-4263