In Central City of around one thousand people, the local historical society maintains three museums. Their goal is to preserve and present the history of this river community in interesting and educational ways. The Sawyer House, a Victorian era home, has gone through some considerable renovation. The Old Library Museum has now become the home of the historical society’s sizable genealogy collection. At the Brown Farm, which is now completely owned and operated by the historical society, tours of the building that houses a large collection of old farm equipment are available.
The town has a number of festivals and events during the year. In one, farmers can demonstrate their ability to back up a wagon. At another, experts take part in a tractor pull contest.
Admission – None
Directions – near the intersection of State Highway 13 and County Road E16 (Sawyer House and Old Library Museum); (Brown Farm)
Hours – by appointment
Credit Cards – None
Phone – (319) 438-1713