Delaware County Historical Museum – Hopkinton, Iowa
The Museum complex is centered around the former Lenox College. The beautiful campus and buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in America. The centerpiece of the campus is the Civil War Monument, dedicated 17 November, 1965. Construction of Old Main began in 1856 when the school was known as Bowen Collegiate Institute. The Victorian style east wing was added in 1875. Clarke Hall, the dormitory for girls, was built in 1890. Doolittle Hall, constructed in 1900, contained the Library and Literary Societies. Finkbonner Hall (the gymnasium) was erected in 1916. Other buildings in the complex include the Hopkinton Depot, which was moved to the present site in 1969. The Reformed Presbyterian Church, with its remarkable Bavarian stained-glass windows, was dedicated in 1901 and donated to the Society in 1969. The one-room school was purchased and moved to its present location – next to the church – in 1971. A Farm Machinery Hall, which houses displays of horse-drawn farm equipment, was added in 1973. A second Farm Machinery Hall was built in 1982. Guided tours are available.
Admission – $3.00 for adults and youth 12 and up, free for youth under 11 (or Membership Card) Membership Dues Annual Membership $3 Sustaining or Family Membership $5 "59er" Club $10 "Friends" $25
Directions – at the junction of State Highway 38 and College Street
Hours – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Tuesday – Sunday, June – September, and by appointment
Phone – (319) 926-2639