The Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm was developed by the Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee as a recreational and educational center. Three historic barns are the major components of the Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm Historic District.
There are three barns known as the historic Maasdam barns. There are two that were built in 1910 and an earlier barn that was apparently built in 1906. The Stallion Barn was the first barn to be restored in 2006. It is one of the 1910 barns. This barn contains sturdy stalls for 2 Percheron stallions, used for breeding purposes. You will see that they are far from where the mares are being placed at the edge of the farmstead.
In 2008 a section of the farmstead was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places, because from 1910 until 1938 the owner of this farm, J. G. Maasdam, was a prominent importer and breeder of award-winning Belgian, Percheron and other draft horses. Horses were of great importance in powering the then improving farm equipment.
Also of importance is that the barns were equipped with Louden overhead monorail hay carriers, which were first developed and manufactured by the Louden Machinery Company in Fairfield. The Louden overhead monorail system is still used throughout the world in agriculture, but more more importantly, in industry.
The Welcome Center contains displays, photos, artifacts, and stories about the farm’s history. In addition, there is information about early Fairfield industries related to agriculture, as well as visitor information about Jefferson County and Fairfield.
The Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm is located about 1 mile south of the Fairfield Square, on South Main Street (Hwy 1), at the interchange with US Highway 34 (Exit 212),